Mono, the open source development platform based on the .NET framework, allows developers to build Linux and cross-platform applications with improved developer productivity. Mono's .NET implementation is based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Infrastructure.
Sponsored by Novell, the Mono project has an active and enthusiastic contributing community. Mono includes both developer tools and the infrastructure needed to run .NET client and server applications. It is positioned to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications.
Mono Feature Highlights
- Runs on Linux, OS X, BSD, and Microsoft Windows, including x86, x86-64, ARM, s390, PowerPC and much more
- Develop in C# 4.0 (including LINQ and dynamic), VB 8, Java, Python, Ruby, Eiffel, F#, Oxygene, and more
- Binary Compatible
- Built on an implementation of the ECMA's Common Language Infrastructure and C#
- Microsoft Compatible API
- Run ASP.NET, ADO.NET, Silverlight and Windows.Forms applications without recompilation
- Open Source, Free Software
- Mono's runtime, compilers, and libraries are distributed under OSI approved licenses and are available for dual-licensing
- Comprehensive Technology Coverage
- Bindings and managed implementations of many popular libraries and protocols
You can download Mono today and start using it !
About the Project
For details on the project's future direction, read the roadmap.
To participate in discussion and development, subscribe to our mailing lists.